As the holder of a valid Katonah Village Library card in good standing, a library user can request most library items from all public libraries in the entire Westchester Library System (WLS). The types of items that may be borrowed include books, DVDs, audiobooks, music CDs, even music scores. Exceptions to this privilege include: reference materials,entire issues of magazines (though specific article can be requested at the Reference Desk) and certain restricted materials (e.g., materials from local history collections). To request an item from another Westchester public library search the WLS online public access catalog and place a “hold” to have the item brought to any member library of WLS. You will need your library card numbe and PIN (usually the last 4 numbers of your telephone number). Books that are not found in the catalog can be requested through an external interlibrary loan request (ILL). The ILL request can be made through the catalog, by email, in person or by using an online request form. More information about ILLs is provided below.
Interlibrary Loan Services
The Westchester Library System Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Services allow holders of an active Katonah Village Library card in good standing to obtain without charge print materials, such as books and magazine articles, as well as microfilm of old newspapers, that are not owned within the Westchester Library System from lending institutions throughout the U.S.A. You may request novels of all genres, nonfiction (e.g., history, biographies, self-help), magazine articles – old and new, obtain items needed for research, and even music scores.
If you wish to make an ILL request at this time, you may:
- Email email@example.com with the identifying information. Please also provide your name, library card number, email & telephone number.Telephone 914-232-3508 and ask for Reference.
- For books – title, author, maybe desired edition publication year.
- For magazines – article title, author(s), magazine/journal title, date, volume and issue no., and page numbers.
- Do in person.
- Use one of the online request forms:
Please be aware of the following concerning this service:
- This service is free. In the rare case when the owning institution charges a fee, the requestor will be contacted for permission to proceed or to cancel.
- The average time to obtain the materials is one to four weeks.
- While every effort will be made to locate the desired material, finding a library willing to lend is not guaranteed.
- The following materials cannot be obtained through ILLs at this time:
- Audio-visual materials (audiobooks, DVDs, VHS videos, CDs, etc.);
- Reference materials;
- Items held in special collections, like rare books;
- Entire issues of magazines; and
- Books published in the last 6 months.
- When borrowing a book through ILL, the library user:
- May borrow the item only for 4 weeks;
- Cannot renew the item;
- Must return the ILL item in the condition it was received and only to Katonah Village Library; and
- Must return all attached documentation with the item.
- ILL loaned materials are subject to recall by the owning library at any time, even before your due date.
- Fines are applied only to borrowed materials if:If the item is lost or damaged, the borrower will have to pay any cost or fine imposed by the lending institution.
- The item is returned late. The fine is $2.00/day for a maximum of $25.00.
- The requested item is not picked up within 8 days.
- The item is returned to another WLS library, a fine of 50 cents is applied.
- The item is returned without its documentation, a fine of 50 cents is applied.
updated: Jan. 27, 2015